The Secret To Delicious Bean Stew
I’m always looking for creative ways to make my beans. I shared this recipe on Tiktok and a lot of you loved it. Bean stew can become monotonous and this is why this recipe tops everything else. The secret to making this bean stew lies in the vegetable stock, and blending the vegetables, quite simple but the flavors are mind blowing and delicious.
This recipe is quite easy to make and requires very simple ingredients. Any vegetables already in your pantry or fridge works great. Start by gathering your vegetables to make the broth. I’ve tried this recipe with different vegetable and anything works fine. I used carrots, a handful of French beans, onions, garlic and ginger, mixed peppers, potatoes and fresh thyme. You want to bring these vegetables to a boil until they soften, then save the stock and blend the rest of the vegetables leaving out the herbs. To be honest the real secret is in the blending of the cooked vegetables.
Once you have the stock and the blended vegetables, it’s time to start making the stew. Begin by frying onions and garlic with spices of choice until golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes with the blended vegetables and cook until the tomatoes soften. Once the tomatoes soften, add your boiled beans and the vegetable stock, cover and cook for about 25 minutes. The liquid should reduce and the stew thicken, you can adjust the thickness to your licking.
This technique can be used when making any type of legume, from peas, black beans, lentils and even chickpeas. You can also experiment with vegetables like zucchini, aubergines or turnips when making the vegetable stock. This recipe is quite experimental and you can adjust it to your liking. The more colorful the vegetables are the more flavorful and delicious the bean stew will be.
Use this secret to make delicious bean stew and be creative. I look forward to seeing all your creations. Check out this chickpea recipe.
Love & Light,
The Secret to Making Delicious Bean Stew
- chopped carrot and French beans
- 2 small potatoes
- Handful of chopped peppers
- 1 Onion
- Garlic and ginger
- Herbs of choice (thyme)
- 2 cups boiled beans of choice
- 1 chopped onion
- mince garlic
- 1 chopped tomato
- Spices (turmeric, paprika & tandoori spice)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup Blended veg from the stock
Make the Stock
- In a cooking pot add all the ingredients of the stock with enough water then bring to a boil for about 15 minutes.
- Once the vegetables become soft, add them into a blender without the herbs and save the stock to be used later.
- Blend the vegetables until they form a thick mixture, add a little stock to help in the blending.
Make the Bean Stew
- In a large pot, add onions and garlic with some cooking oil. Fry until golden brown. Add spices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and the blended vegetables, cook until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the boiled beans and the vegetable stock, then cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- The liquid will reduce and the sauce will thicken. Adjust sauce to your liking.
- Enjoy with some chapatti or rice.