Easy Vegan Chickpea Shakshuka
One of my favorite breakfast option has always been shakshuka. I love it as it’s so easy to make, you make everything in one pot and it takes the shortest time. Since traditional shakshuka is made with eggs, I always wanted to try a vegan option and this easy chickpea shakshuka was it. Instead of cracking eggs into the tomato sauce, we’ll add chickpeas and this can be eaten for breakfast or with some rice for dinner or lunch.
This recipe is created in Partnership with Pure Mountain Grains. All thoughts and opinions are 100% mine. Thank you for supporting the brands I work with that make it possible to create recipes at Miss Kabaki.
Shakshuka is believed to have originated from North Africa and it has quickly spread to the Middle East especially in Israel. It is essentially eggs cooked in a tomato based sauce. You can add any flavorings you like from cumin, coriander powder, turmeric, paprika and the list could be endless.
This recipe is my plant based, vegan version using chickpeas instead of eggs.
- Pure Mountain Chcikpeas
- Pure Mountain Herb Infused canola oil
- Tomato paste
- Bay leaf
How To Prepare This Easy Vegan Chickpea Shakshuka
You’ll need to pre soak the chickpeas a day before to help them cook faster. then boil them. Once you have the boiled chickpeas ready, you can start making the tomato based sauce.
Start by sautéing onions, garlic and ginger until soft. Then add the tomatoes. I like to use pureed tomatoes to remove the chunks and have more sauce to work with. You can however add chopped tomatoes and cook them until they break down and become saucy. Add tomato paste and cook for a few minutes.
Add the spices. You can be creative with the flavors here and different spices as you’d love. You’ll need to cook the spices for a bit and let the sauce reduce down. Once your tomato based sauce has reduced, you’ll then add the boiled chickpeas and cook for about 10 minutes. You want the chickpeas to soak in all the sauce and spices while at the same time retain some sauce. Once ready finish off with chopped cilantro.
This easy vegan chickpea shakshuka is perfect with bread for breakfast or some rice for lunch or dinner. If you love this recipe, you’ll definitely love these dry grain recipes using Pure Mountain dry grains.
How To Make Chickpea Shakshuka
- 2 cups Pure Mountain Chickpeas
- 3 tbsp Pure Mountain Herb Infused Canola Oil
- 1 Onion
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Mince Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Mince Ginger
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Tomato paste
- Handful of chopped dhania/cilantro
- Start by soaking the Pure Mountain chickpeas overnight. Soaking helps the chickpeas cook faster when you boil them. Place dried chickpeas in a bowl and cover with cold water. Leave at room temperature overnight or for at least 8-12 hours to soak and swell.
- After soaking, it’s time to boil the chickpeas. Drain and rinse the chickpeas then add them into a heavy pot, add cold water and boil over medium high heat. Let them cook for 30-40 minutes until they’re soft and break easily when pressed.
- Once boiled, rinse with cold water and make the sauce.
- Start by sautéing onion, garlic and ginger with Pure Mountain herb infused canola oil. Let the onions soften and browns lightly.
- Add pureed tomatoes and tomato paste with therest of the spices and cook for about 10 minutes. The tomatoes will thicken andreduce.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and cook for an addition 10 minutes
- Finish off with the chopped cilantro and enjoy with rice or bread.
1 thought on “Easy Vegan Chickpea Shakshuka”