Tomato Galette With Parmesan Cheese
I’ve made a few galettes in my life and I have to say I always thought sweet galettes were my favorite until I tried savory galettes. This tomato galette is so delicious with the perfect combination of tomato and parmesan cheese held together in a flaky crust. I cannot stress this enough if you’re looking for a fancy dessert without all the hard work of making pies then galettes are the go to.
The freeform and rustic design of galettes are what makes them special and elegant. You don’t need any special pans to make them and anyone can make them. This tomato galette only requires very few ingredients as fillings, just the tomatoes and cheese and violas.
Ingredients Needed For This Tomato Galette With Parmesan Cheese
I always encourage everyone to make the dough at home as it’s so easy and you can control what you put in unlike those store bought ones. The dough easily comes together, kneaded by hand and requires very basic ingredients, just make sure everything is cold.
- All purpose flour
- Cold butter
- Cold ice water
Start by combining the flour and salt. Then start incorporating the butter with the flour using your hands in a pinching manner. The flour mixed with the butter should be pea sized when you’re done. Start adding the ice cold water, a table spoon at a time until the dough comes together well. Cover with a plastic paper and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. As the dough rests start preparing the tomatoes.
Tomato & Parmesan Filling
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C and start rolling the dough. Roll it into a circular shape big enough to hold all your tomatoes as well as leaving a 2 inch boarder all round. Start with the parmesan cheese that’s grated and spread it evenly on the dough. You want to have transferred the rolled dough unto a baking tray lined with parchment paper before starting to assemble the filling. The cheese will provide a barrier between the dough and the tomatoes that will help the dough not be soggy. then arrange the tomatoes then add dollops of cheese and fresh herbs.
Fold the dough over and in to hold the filling then brush the ends with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds although this is optional.
Bake the galette for 55 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the tomatoes are tender.
OTHER GALETTES TO TRY OUT
Tomato Galette WIth Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp Cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Cold ice water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg for egg wash
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 3 Medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Salt & pepper
- Fresh herbs (Mint & basil)
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt, cube the butter and add into the flour mixture. Coat the butter with the flour and start working the butter into the flour using your fingers. You want to do this in a pinching manner until all the butter is incorporated. The butter pieces should be pea size when all the butter is incorporated.
- Start adding the cold water into the flour mixture and start combining until the flour comes together as a dough not too wet and not too dry. Adjust the water accordingly.
- Cover the dough with a plastic paper and store in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, flour your surface and roll the dough into a rectangular shape. then fold the dough into an envelop like shape. Roll again into a rectangle then fold. Repeat about 4-5 times then cover the dough and place in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Flour your working space and roll the dough into a circular shape. Make it big enough to accommodate your tomatoes and still leave 2 inches around for folding. Transfer the dough unto a lined baking tray before putting in the filling.
- Cut up your tomatoes into circular shapes.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly on the surface of your rolled dough leaving a 2 inch boarder around.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top of the parmesan cheese evenly the sprinkle some salt and pepper. Add your herbs also.
- Bring the edges of the dough up and over the filling overlapping it. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Place the tray in the fridge for about 10 minutes as you preheat the oven.
- Bake the galette at 180 degrees C for 55 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Cool it before enjoying.