3 Layer Salted Caramel Cake Recipe
I’ve always been a fan of anything with salted caramel and my favorite cake is from Artcaffe the salted caramel cake. I’m the kind of person who’ll make popcorns and drizzle salted caramel on top. I really wanted to make my version of salted caramel cake. It was also my first time making a 3 layer cake and I must say it was quite fun. This salted caramel cake recipe requires a little patience especially with the caramel which is the basis of this cake.
How to Make The Salted Caramel
Caramel is basically sugar heated until it turns brown, and combined with butter, cream or milk to form a thick sweet sauce. There are a few ways to make caramel but I will show you my favorite way that requires either milk as it’s easier and inexpensive.
- Granulated sugar
You Will Need:
- A medium pot
Place sugar and water in the pot and bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves. It will first bubble and turn into a light brown color. Do not stir it as it bubbles rather let it continue to boil until it reaches a dark brown/amber color. You have to keep an eye on the caramel once it changes color as it could burn in seconds.
Remove from heat and add the milk as you whisk quickly, it will bubble up a lot so be on the look out. Return to the heat and add butter as you continue whisking. Add salt and stir then dip a spoon, let it cool then taste and adjust the salt as you wish.
You need to make the caramel ahead of time as it needs time to cool completely. Once you have the caramel the cake is pretty easy to make.
Things To Note About This 3 Layer Salted Caramel Cake
- This recipe will make 3-6inch cakes
- The caramel recipe calls for room temperature butter and milk. Do not attempt to use cold butter or milk as this will separate when the caramel cools.
- Before doing the drip, make sure the cake and the caramel are chilled.
- To get the perfect drip, let the caramel be thicker than you think. This will help it drizzle slowly and get those perfect lines.
I hope you enjoy making this 3 layer salted caramel cake and I look forward to your creations. Check out this other cake.
Love & light.
3 Layer Vanilla Cake With Salted Caramel Sauce
For The Cake
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
For The Buttercream
- 1 cup Softened unsalted butter
- 4 cups Confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cup Whole milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
Salted Caramel Sauce (Make in advance)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Whole milk
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
Caramel Sauce (Make in advance)
- Place sugar in a medium pot, add sugar and place the pot on medium high heat. Let the suagr dissolve without stirring it.
- Let it continue cooking over high until it turns into a dark amber color. The sauce will first turn into a light brown color then to a dark brown color.
- Switch off the heat and add milk while whisking vigorously and quickly. The mixture will bubble up then boil. Add the butter and return to heat as you whisk to boil again.
- Add salt at this time, whisk and remove from heat.
- Let it cool completely about 2 hours, the transfer into a container and cool in the fridge to thicken.
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees C and grease and flour your baking tin.
- In one bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, add sugar and oil. Using a hand mixture beat the two until pale. Add eggs and beat the n add milk and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture bit by bit as you whisk until it's incorporated into the wet mixture.
- Spread the mixture into your prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If using one pan, cook one after the other.
- Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl and using a hand mixture, beat the softened butter until it turns pale, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar a table spoon at a time as you whisk on low. Add milk and vanilla and beat on high. Add salt last and combine. Adjust the consistency as you like.
- Level the cakes slightly and place the first layer on a cake stand. Top with buttercream evenly and place the next layer. repeat with the other layers.
- Frost and smooth the other layer of the cake then place in the fridge to chill.
- Using a small spoon, place dollops of caramel around the top edges of the cake and allow it to drizzle down.
- Top with popcorns and Oreo biscuits (optional)
1 thought on “3 Layer Salted Caramel Cake Recipe”