Stripped Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
Looking for a delicious cheeky Valentine’s Day treat, then these stripped pink and plain sugar cookies are what you’re looking for. They’re flirty and colorful, perfectly colored with pink food coloring. Everything is assembled and colored before going into the oven making them easier to make than using royal icing to decorate.
How To Make Stripped Valentine Day Cookies
The easiest way to make these cookies is dividing the dough into two batches. You need a plain dough batch and a pink colored batch. I used a powdered pink food coloring that I added when creaming the sugar and butter then added colored sugar on top of the pink dough. The colored sugar is so easy to make just add pink food coloring to granulated sugar and mixed it together.
You need to let the dough chill for at least 20 minutes. Cut into stripes and layer them then roll them out so they hold together. Refrigerate again so that the cookies hold their shape. The final stage is shaping them.
The secret to having cookies that hold their shape and don’t spread too much is adding corn starch/flour with your all purpose flour. The corn starch also helps cut down the chilling time.
A Few Tips To Help
- Add corn starch to all purpose flour to help the cookies hold their shape and not spread too much.
- Roll the dough between two baking papers for easier transfer to and from the fridge.
- Add the pink food coloring when you’re creaming the butter and the sugar.
- Spread the colored sugar right after rolling the dough for it to stick better. You can omit the colored sugar if you wish.
- If the dough cracks a lot when cutting into strips, let it warm up at room temperature for a few minutes.
- There will be a lot of scrapes when cutting out the stripes. You can use smaller cookie cutters to cut out smaller cookies and as much of the dough as possible. Then ball up the rest and make some funny looking but delicious cookies.
You’ll really enjoy making and eating these stripped Valentine’s Day sugar cookies and I hope you make them for someone special in your life.
Love & Light,
Stripped Valentines Day Sugar CookiesMiss Kabaki
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Corn strach flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened butter softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp Pink food coloring
- 1/3 cup sugar mixed with pink food coloring
- We need two equal portions of the dough so divide the ingredients into two. Th easiest way would be mix the dry ingredients; flour, corn starch and salt and divide into two.
- Start mixing the first half of the wet ingredients. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, sugar and beat with a hand mixer until the butter is combined well. Add one egg and vanilla extract and combine.
- Slowly add half of the flour mixture and combine until it becomes a dough.
- Roll the dough between two baking sheet to a 1/4 thickness and refrigerate for 20 minutes as you make the second dough.
- For the Pink dough, repeat the above steps but add the pink food coloring to the butter and sugar mixture. Put a little more than you think because the pink color will tone down once the flour is added.
- Roll out the dough and spread the sugar mixture mixed with pink food coloring. The sugar should stick to the dough. Refrigerate this pink dough.
- Once the dough has rested, use a ruler and a knife to cut out 1/2 inch stripes. Return them to the fridge as you cut the pink dough.
- Once you have all your stripes, Layer the pink and the plain stripes so that they touch.
- Cover the lined stripes with a baking paper then roll to make sure they seal . Return to the fridge for the last time for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and start cutting out cookies with a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- Place them on a lined baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool completely then enjoy!
1 thought on “Stripped Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies”