Vegan Pineapple & Turmeric Tart
This Vegan Pineapple Turmeric Tart is dedicated to that time I got featured on Yummy Magazine, photographed by Bill of “Kenyan Library” on Instagram. It’s a really lovely zingy recipe with an oat and dates crust and a luscious pineapple turmeric filing set with agar agar powder.
I’ve always been a fun of pineapples although I always struggled with whether they’re meant for smoothies or including them in a cream. When I decided to make this flavor I wasn’t sure of the pineapple and turmeric combo since it’s very odd. I wanted the filling to be very creamy, like a curd, but with some firmness so that when cutting, it will not scatter everything.
Most of the sweetness in the filling comes from the pineapples as they’re naturally sweet. The tart itself will turn yellow because of the turmeric as I did not want to use any artificial coloring. The creaminess comes from coconut cream because it’s thick and I wanted this tart dairy free. I used agar agar power to help with the firmness, also because it’s the vegan version of gelatin. Gelatin can be used as a substitute if you wish not to have it vegan .
The raw crust works really well with this tart. Made from oats and sweetened with dates. For decoration I knew I wanted to use edible flowers; violas for their beauty and I also couldn’t resist adding blueberries just for the color contrast.
I really hope you do enjoy this vegan pineapple & turmeric tart and I look forward to hearing your thoughts! Also check out my other Tarts and cheesecake variations.
Check out These Other Tarts
How to Make Vegan Pineapple & Turmeric Tart
- 9" tart tin
- cooking pot
For the Crust
- 3 1/2 cups oats
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 10 dates pitted
- 1 tbsp cardamon powder
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup Melted coconut oil
For the filling
- 2 cans coconut cream
- 2 cups pineapple
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp agar agar powder
- Prepare a 9" tart tin
- Add all the ingredients for the crust in a food processor or blender and pulse until ground
- Add melted coconut oil and blend again. You should have a sticky mix when pressed together with your hands
- Scoop the crust mix into your tart tin and press the sides and the base down. Then place it into the fridge to set
- Place the chopped pineapples into a blend and blend until smooth. Add in the coconut cream, and turmeric and blend until creamy
- Place this mixture into a medium pot and bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add agar agar powder and stir until dissolved
- Let the mixture cool slightly then pour it into your tart tin and refrigerate overnight or for at lease 4 hours
- Top with your favorite fruits or edible flowers and enjoy